celix-dev mailing list archives

From Alexander Broekhuis <a.broekh...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: celix_log as log_service-tracker?
Date Wed, 10 Sep 2014 07:06:28 GMT
Hi all,

It has been a while since I implemented the fw_log support. What I do
remember is, I modelled it in a similar fashion as Felix does. In there the
log_service is not used due to locking [1].

I don't remember the details, but with Celix for several calls this would
be a problem as well. If we do decide to update the framework logger to use
the log service, we need to look into this.

But on the other hand, after a certain point during startup, paralel to the
fw_log calls, there are framework events. For example bundle state changes.
Those events are picked up by the current log_service.
Events/log entries from before that point will never end up at the
log_service, because services can't be active yet.

So instead of investing a lot in using the log_service (with all the
locking details..) maybe we should look into expanding the number of events
sent by the framework.

[1]:
http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/felix/trunk/framework/src/main/java/org/apache/felix/framework/Logger.java?view=markup

--