celix-dev mailing list archives

From Pepijn Noltes <pepijnnol...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Introducing myself
Date Tue, 09 Apr 2013 20:31:21 GMT
On Fri, Apr 5, 2013 at 1:53 PM, <erik@jansman.eu> wrote:

> > Hello Erik,
> >
> > On Apr 4, 2013, at 13:30 , <erik@jansman.eu> wrote:
> >
> >> Last week I subscribed to the mailing list and I think it's appropriate
> >> introduce myself. My name is Erik Jansman, I'm a Dutch student currently
> >> doing an internship @ Thales Hengelo where Pepijn Noltes is supervising
> >> me. When I'm not working I like to spend my time reading thrillers,
> >> enjoying a good whisk(e)y or spending time with friends and family.
> >
> > Welcome!
> >
> > <off-topic>
> > As a whiskey enthusiast, surely you know the great reviews by Ralfy?
> > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ns0nQgc_29w
> I do know them but sadly don't have enough time to view them all
> > </off-topic>
> >
> >> The first years of my programming career as a student I have spend on
> >> web-development, Java programming and the last two years I have started
> >> move into the embedded software.
> >
> > Great!
> >
> >> For my internship assignment I'm working on Remote service. This is
> >> where
> >> I learned about OSGi and Apache Celix. At the moment I'm researching the
> >> possible ways of doing the transport for remote services in Celix. On of
> >> the possibility's is using ZeroMQ or another Message queue system. As
> >> soon
> >> as one a way of communicating is selected I will start implementing that
> >> system.
> >
> > I'm assuming at some point you want to donate this implementation to
> Celix
> > (since you're posting here)? If that is the case, I'm sure we all would
> be
> > interested in receiving regular updates on the project and/or a pointer
> > some repository you use during development. As a side-note: please in
> your
> > research also take into account licensing of such implementations so you
> > don't end up picking one with an incompatible license. [1] When in doubt,
> > ask! :)
> I do plan on giving regular updates and I hope to be able to donate the
> implementation at the end of my project. It depends on if it is stable and

if I'm allowed to donate it.

The idea is that the work Erik is doing for his assignment should be
contributed to Apache Celix.
If I am correct the Coperate CLA [2] which Thales has signed should make
this possible.

One option we are looking into is ZeroMQ, which is licensed under the LGPL.
If I am reading the Third-Party Licensing Policy correct, this is legal, if
we handle this as a optional add-on [3]. Am I correct on this ?

And do we find adding optional add-ons with non authorized licences
acceptable for functionality not part of the core framework?
Personally I think this should be ok, if it adds a significant advantages.

Greetings,
Pepijn

[2] http://www.apache.org/licenses/cla-corporate.txt
[3]  http://www.apache.org/legal/3party.html#options-optional