celix-dev mailing list archives

From Pepijn Noltes <pepijnnol...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Incubator PMC/Board report for Apr 2013 ([ppmc])
Date Wed, 10 Apr 2013 10:35:41 GMT
On Wed, Apr 10, 2013 at 11:34 AM, Alexander Broekhuis <a.broekhuis@gmail.com
> wrote:

> Comments inline :)
>
> 2013/4/10 Pepijn Noltes <pepijnnoltes@gmail.com>
> >

> > Celix
> >
> > Celix is an OSGi like implementation in C with a distinct focus on
> > interoperability between Java and C.
> >
> > Celix has been incubating since 2010-11-02.
> >
> > Three most important issues to address in the move towards graduation:
> >
> >   1. Grow a community
> >   2. Find more committers
> >   3. ..
> >
> > Celix is maintained by 2 committers and a small group of users. Questions
> > to the mailing list are (most of the time) answered quickly. We are also
> > trying to give talks on Celix or related stuff on conferences.
> > We see and recognise the problem of the small community, but are also
> > confident that Celix and its community will grow.
> >
> > Any issues that the Incubator PMC (IPMC) or ASF Board wish/need to be
> aware
> > of?
> > None.
> >
> > How has the community developed since the last report?
> >
> > There is no active growth, but there are currently two students doing
> their
> > internship with Apache Celix and we are trying hoping to get some
> projects
> > in the Google Summer of Code 2013. We hope that this will lead in more
> > activity on the mailing-list and hopefully extra committers.
> >

> I've only seen one person on the mailing list. Following "if it isn't on
> the list, it didn't happen" I would be a little cautious mentioning both.
>
> I Agree.

how about:
There is no active growth, but there are currently one students doing his
intership with Apache Celix and we are trying hoping to get some projects
in the Google Summer of Code 2013. We hope that this will lead in more
activity on the mailing-list and hopefully to extra committers.

> > How has the project developed since the last report?
> >
> > Technically progress has been slow the last months, although we expect
> more
> > contributions in the coming months.
> >

> Breaking my own sentence above...
> * There was a remote services hackaton, although not directly related to
> Celix, it is still the idea to be able to connect the Celix RSA with Java
> RSA.
> * I am working on Native-OSGi, but probably should write a dedicated email
> about this...

I think the hackaton is worth mentioning - and provable ;) - on the
progress report, for the Native-OSGi I think we should not mentioned that
until we have something on the mailing-list.

How about:
Technically progress has been slow the last months. There was a hackaton
organized for remote services in Java [1], which although not directly
related to Apache Celix, should eventually work together with the Apache
Celix and as result the committers of Apache Celix where present. We also
expect an increase in contributions the coming months because of the
student intership / GSoC activities.

[1] http://lists.amdatu.org/pipermail/dev/2013-March/000020.html