celix-dev mailing list archives

From Marcel Offermans <marcel.offerm...@luminis.nl>
Subject Re: Poddling status
Date Fri, 13 Jan 2012 18:23:54 GMT
On Jan 12, 2012, at 11:15 AM, Alexander Broekhuis wrote:

> - Use Celix as an alternative for JNI, which provides a more robust
> solution. The processes are separated, and one side crashing won't take
> down the other.
> Does anyone have a specific use case or interest in this that can be used
> as a showcase?
>
> - During many discussions C++ is mentioned, also seing the replies now
> again there seems to be quite a lot of interest in an OSGi implementation
> in C++.
> - There are several C++ OSGi like implementations, collaboration with these
> projects could benefit both.

It makes a lot of sense to reach out to those communities to see if we can collaborate.

> Seeing this interest in C++, I think it would be a good starting point to
> try and reach a broader community.
>
> The following C++ frameworks are mentioned:
> - nOSGi: http://www-vs.informatik.uni-ulm.de/proj/nosgi/
> - SOF: http://sof.tiddlyspot.com/
> - CommonTK Plugin Framework:
> http://www.commontk.org/index.php/Documentation/Plugin_Framework

If anybody else has additions to this list, let us know!

Maybe closer to home, other Apache projects that are interested in collaborating. For example,
we are currently using the APR and might even do ports to platforms that currently are not
supported yet. Another example could be to look at other OSGi projects (Felix, ACE, Karaf,
...) and see if there are things that could be of interest to them (I'm thinking they might
be interested in a JNI alternative, for example).

> Areas where I think collaboration might be interesting are:
> * Bundling
> * Metadata
> * API (how to map the OSGi specification to C/C++)

I'm sure there are many technical issues to work on, once we get in contact. The first thing
we should do is to see if we have common goals. Since we're all implementing the OSGi specification
at least at a high level we do.

> Does anyone have any ideas/suggestions regarding this? What would be a good
> starting point?

Getting in touch, getting a discussion going. Perhaps we should write up a small introduction
to Celix, maybe even a short demo video, that shows what Celix can do, contact these projects
on their mailing lists, forums, etc. and see what happens.

> Also I think it is interesting how the current Celix framework can be
> extended so that it can support C++. If possible I would like to keep a C
> only framework, with specific extensions if used with C++.

Agreed.

Greetings, Marcel