celix-dev mailing list archives

From Alexander Broekhuis <a.broekh...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Poddling status
Date Thu, 12 Jan 2012 10:15:02 GMT
Hi all,

Thanks for the replies. I'll try to summarize what has been posted by now:

- Thales is going to use Celix in a research project and is actively
developing Celix and with Celix. Part of their development is an
implementation of the Device Access Specification, which will be donated to
Celix. I think this is great news!
Pepijn: Are you willing to maintain the Device Access implementation if it
is donated to Celix?

- Use Celix as an alternative for JNI, which provides a more robust
solution. The processes are separated, and one side crashing won't take
down the other.
Does anyone have a specific use case or interest in this that can be used
as a showcase?

- During many discussions C++ is mentioned, also seing the replies now
again there seems to be quite a lot of interest in an OSGi implementation
in C++.
- There are several C++ OSGi like implementations, collaboration with these
projects could benefit both.

Seeing this interest in C++, I think it would be a good starting point to
try and reach a broader community.

The following C++ frameworks are mentioned:
- nOSGi: http://www-vs.informatik.uni-ulm.de/proj/nosgi/
- SOF: http://sof.tiddlyspot.com/
- CommonTK Plugin Framework:
http://www.commontk.org/index.php/Documentation/Plugin_Framework

Areas where I think collaboration might be interesting are:
* Bundling
* Metadata
* API (how to map the OSGi specification to C/C++)

Does anyone have any ideas/suggestions regarding this? What would be a good
starting point?

Also I think it is interesting how the current Celix framework can be
extended so that it can support C++. If possible I would like to keep a C
only framework, with specific extensions if used with C++.

Again, any ideas are welcome! My knowledge about C++ isn't that great, so
any help would be appreciated.

If I misunderstood or forgot something, feel free to correct me.

--
Met vriendelijke groet,

Alexander Broekhuis