cayenne-user mailing list archives

From Tony <t...@giaccone.org>
Subject Re: Testing & Map
Date Tue, 09 Jul 2019 23:43:24 GMT
Joe,

Delete the schema name in the modeler. Just leave it empty at the highest level and propagate
it down. There’s a button to the left of the text field.

That will remove the schema entry from the model which will remove it from the XML. Then at
runtime the URL provides the schema. Easy Peasy...

Tony Giaccone

> On Jul 8, 2019, at 3:06 PM, Joe Baldwin <jfbaldwin@earthlink.net> wrote:
>
> Tony,
>
>> In our models we never specify the schema
>

> This sounds like what I was experimenting with.  (Except in my case I thought it was
“hacking” - I feel much better now :) )   I just manually edited the map.xml file and
deleted the schema - cayenne-runtime seems fine with using the connection-url to define the
db namespace.

> Did you set this in the CayenneModeler or via manual editing of the config files?
>
> Thanks
> Joe
>

>> On Jul 8, 2019, at 9:23 AM, Tony <tony@giaccone.org> wrote:
>>
>> Joe,
>>
>> We use cayenne with both drone and Jenkins. In our models we never specify the schema.
It’s always left unspecified I.e. blank.

>> When you do this the schema is determined by the JDBC URL. In our world the schemas
are always the same so technically we could specify them but I personally feel the flexibility
of determining database instance and schema from the environment is far superior to coding
either in the model.

>> We set shell variables to the JDBC url and then pick them up form the environment.

>> This works flawlessly for us.
>>

>> Tony Giaccone
>>
>>> On Jul 6, 2019, at 9:36 PM, Joe Baldwin <jfbaldwin@earthlink.net> wrote:
>>>
>>> I am trying to genericize the map.xml for multiple instances with multiple dbnames
(looking for a “use <dbname>” analogue for cayenne config files - or a better idea
if you have one)

>>> Details ...
>>>
>>> Context:
>>> cayenne: 4.0.1
>>> db: mysql 8.0.16
>>> dbname: “cms" / “cmstest" / "cms_<bunch of others suffixes>” (all
referring to the same schema)

>>> Goals:
>>> - migrate to cicd (gradle, git, jenkins, automated testing,etc)
>>> - support testing configurations, as well as multiple instances of the same app
but with unique dbnames

>>> Prob:
>>> While trying to migrate to fully automated testing (using junit-5) I hit a snag:
>>> - the cayenne map.xml has the datasource name (“cms” in this instance) embedded
in the map.xml config file:

>>>  <property name="defaultSchema" value="cms”/>
>>>  <db-entity name="admin" schema="cms">
>>>      …
>>>  </db-entity>
>>>
>>> So the general idea I had was to create a tmp-test database (cmstest), run the
junit tests for unit & complex unit testing configured using gradle, then move on to a
more complex testing config downstream.   When I deploy it will be to multiple instances (with
unique dbnames).

>>> But I cannot figure out how to genericize this map.xml so that I can easily change
the datasource name - I could throw sed/awk at it - to change all the schema-name-refs, but
I was hoping for something a bit more cayenne-oriented (and less brittle than sed/awk).

>>> Ideally, I am searching for a cayenne-analogue to mysql “use <dbname>”
so that I could change the datasource name in one location (vs 25).