cayenne-user mailing list archives

From Andrus Adamchik <and...@objectstyle.org>
Subject Re: Property class and Serialization
Date Wed, 15 May 2019 06:16:36 GMT
TL;DR: Serialization is a non-trivial contract to support, so we don't make things serializable
unless absolutely necessary.

In the early days of Cayenne we wanted almost everything to be serializable:

1. Contexts and objects (and everything they rely upon) was serializable for convenience,
as most frameworks of the day would rely on sessions, and those could be clustered / persisted.
This wasn't particularly efficient, as each session could drag  around tens of megabytes of
data or more, but it was unavoidable. It was also impossible to make transparent, so you needed
an explicit step on deserialization reattaching objects to the stack.

2. Metadata (DataMap, etc) and Query objects were made Serializable because of Cayenne ROP.

As the things have evolved in the industry in the direction of stateless services (and ROP
having a good chance to get deprecated soon), my hope is that we can gradually do away with
serializability constraints through the stack (perhaps keeping #1 as an option). So most new
APIs are not serializable by default.

With the Property class, it won't be the end of the world if we make it Serializable, but
it feels like under "normal" conditions this should not be needed. An object holding it may
actually implement its own read/writeObject to save it as a String. Hope that's not too much
trouble.

Andrus