cayenne-user mailing list archives

From Pascal Robert <>
Subject Re: Redacting db user name and password from XML
Date Wed, 17 Jan 2018 12:53:08 GMT
It’s not a Bootique project, it’s a plain old Java project that I run in Eclipse. I can
read the properties with System.getProperty, but Cayenne is still using the user and password
from the model.

 INFO [main] ( - Loading XML configuration resource
from file:/Users/probert/Code/modele-migration-filemaker/target/classes/cayenne-mysql.xml
DEBUG [main] ( - Skipping unknown tag <>
 INFO [main] ( - Loading XML DataMap resource from file:/Users/probert/Code/modele-migration-filemaker/target/classes/
 INFO [main] ( - loading user name and password.
DEBUG [main] ( - finished configuration loading in 62 ms.
 INFO [main] ( - added runtime complimentary DbRelationship from adresse
to ecole
 INFO [main] ( - added runtime complimentary DbRelationship from don_ecole
to ecole
 INFO [main] ( - added runtime complimentary DbRelationship from no_serie
to licence
 INFO [main] ( - added runtime complimentary DbRelationship from regroupement
to utilisateur
 INFO [main] ( - added runtime complimentary DbRelationship from etat_utilisateur
to utilisateur_etats
 INFO [main] ( - Connecting to 'jdbc:mysql://localhost:3306/services_web'
as 'xxxx'
 INFO [main] ( - *** Connecting: FAILURE.
java.sql.SQLException: Access denied for user 'xxxx'@'localhost' (using password: YES)

I have tried with both -Dcayenne.jdbc.username.mysql.mysql=root and -Dcayenne.jdbc.username=root

> Le 17 janv. 2018 à 00:58, Andrus Adamchik <> a écrit :
> If it is not a Bootique project, the property should work. A few non-Bootique projects
that I still have (that are on Cayenne 4.0) are started using -Dcayenne.* properties from
the docs.
> If it is a Bootique project, you will need to use the Bootique approach to configure
credentials for anything [1], Cayenne included. E.g. for a sample config [2], you'd be setting
a value for the property "-Dbq.jdbc.mysql.password". Another way (preferred to -D IMO) is
to define a shell variable pointing to the same property, and then exporting the var:
> in
>   BQCoreModule.extend(binder)
>     .declareVar("jdbc.mysql.username", "DB_USER");
>     .declareVar("jdbc.mysql.password", "DB_PASSWORD");
> in startup script:
>   export DB_PASSWORD=root
>   export DB_PASSWORD=secret
>   java -jar my.jar # no password in the Java process sig
> Andrus
> [1]
> [2]
>> On Jan 17, 2018, at 12:22 AM, Pascal Robert <> wrote:
>> Do -Dcayenne.jdbc.username really work? I’m trying to use that (so that the password
is not stored in Git), and the runtime is still using the login information from the XML file.
>> Cayenne 4.1.M1.
>> ServerRuntime mysqlRuntime = ServerRuntime.builder().addConfig("cayenne-mysql.xml").build();
>>> Le 18 déc. 2017 à 11:49, Andrus Adamchik <> a écrit
>>> Hi Mark,
>>> We've done quite a bit of work in Cayenne to avoid complex things like PasswordEncoding
or custom DataSourceFactories. If all that is needed is to change / define login credentials,
the simplest way is via properties [1]. [2] shows an example with a single DataNode. If you
have more than one, you will need to add the project name and the DataNode name to the base
property name. E.g.:
>>> export MY_USER=user
>>> export MY_PASSWORD=secret
>>> java -Dcayenne.jdbc.username.project.mynode=$MY_USER \
>>>   -Dcayenne.jdbc.password.project.mynode=$MY_PASSWORD \
>>>   -jar myapp.jar
>>> Hope this helps,
>>> Andrus
>>> [1]
>>> [2]
is the best-practices solution to redact the database user name and password from an XML file
created and used by Cayenne Modeler? The ServerRuntime build statement is simply:
file, but I don't believe in leaving clear-text artifacts like that laying around in the code,
so I want to add the user and password data at runtime from a Java method (not from an external
file or an 'executable', whatever that means in the content of PasswordEncoding). Adding .user("xyz")
and .password("zyx") to the build statement don't work, presumably because the DataNode is
not the default and those statements just set their respective fields for the default DataNode.
at runtime (though the documentation for doing so is, to be kind, sparse), somehow implement
the PasswordEncoding (even less documentation, because I don't know where it's used), or just
edit the XML at runtime (horrible choice but looking like the best of a bad lot at this point).
fairly often among Cayenne users (it should, for security reasons IMO). Is there a simple
standard way to do what I want? Or at least a standard way? I don't want to invent a new wheel
here. I feel like I'm missing something obvious that everyone else knows about and that I
just missed. Oh, by the way, whatever the solution is should still allow Cayenne Modeler to
function normally.
had a couple answers that used deprecated methods and didn't work when I tried them.
I feel stupid but don't have to spend any more time on this than I have already. :)