cayenne-user mailing list archives

From Andrus Adamchik <>
Subject Re: Redacting db user name and password from XML
Date Wed, 17 Jan 2018 15:33:21 GMT
Researching now... One possible difference in my code may be that I don't even model a DataNode
in the Modeler. It is added as a DataSource in runtime. So a bug may have crept in for the
other scenario.

> On Jan 17, 2018, at 3:57 PM, Amedeo Mantica <> wrote:
> I tried setting connection dictionary programmactically too, I was succesful, but only
after deletion of the existing connection discionary from the xml
> In my module:
> String driver = conf.getString(JDBC_DRIVER_PROPERTY);
> String jdbcUrl = conf.getString(JDBC_URL_PROPERTY);
> String username = conf.getString(JDBC_USERNAME_PROPERTY);
> String password = conf.hasPath(JDBC_PASSWORD_PROPERTY) ? conf.getString(JDBC_PASSWORD_PROPERTY)
: "";
> if(jdbcUrl != null) {
>    binder.bindMap(Constants.PROPERTIES_MAP).put(Constants.JDBC_DRIVER_PROPERTY, driver);
>    binder.bindMap(Constants.PROPERTIES_MAP).put(Constants.JDBC_URL_PROPERTY, jdbcUrl);
>    binder.bindMap(Constants.PROPERTIES_MAP).put(Constants.JDBC_USERNAME_PROPERTY, username);
>    binder.bindMap(Constants.PROPERTIES_MAP).put(Constants.JDBC_PASSWORD_PROPERTY, password);
> }
> Regards
> Amedeo
>> On 17 Jan 2018, at 13:53, Pascal Robert <> wrote:
>> It’s not a Bootique project, it’s a plain old Java project that I run in Eclipse.
I can read the properties with System.getProperty, but Cayenne is still using the user and
password from the model.
>> INFO [main] ( - Loading XML configuration
resource from file:/Users/probert/Code/modele-migration-filemaker/target/classes/cayenne-mysql.xml
>> DEBUG [main] ( - Skipping unknown tag <>
>> INFO [main] ( - Loading XML DataMap resource
from file:/Users/probert/Code/modele-migration-filemaker/target/classes/
>> INFO [main] ( - loading user name and password.
>> DEBUG [main] ( - finished configuration loading in 62
>> INFO [main] ( - added runtime complimentary DbRelationship
from adresse to ecole
>> INFO [main] ( - added runtime complimentary DbRelationship
from don_ecole to ecole
>> INFO [main] ( - added runtime complimentary DbRelationship
from no_serie to licence
>> INFO [main] ( - added runtime complimentary DbRelationship
from regroupement to utilisateur
>> INFO [main] ( - added runtime complimentary DbRelationship
from etat_utilisateur to utilisateur_etats
>> INFO [main] ( - Connecting to 'jdbc:mysql://localhost:3306/services_web'
as 'xxxx'
>> INFO [main] ( - *** Connecting: FAILURE.
>> java.sql.SQLException: Access denied for user 'xxxx'@'localhost' (using password:
>> I have tried with both -Dcayenne.jdbc.username.mysql.mysql=root and -Dcayenne.jdbc.username=root
>>> Le 17 janv. 2018 à 00:58, Andrus Adamchik <> a écrit
>>> If it is not a Bootique project, the property should work. A few non-Bootique
projects that I still have (that are on Cayenne 4.0) are started using -Dcayenne.* properties
from the docs.
>>> If it is a Bootique project, you will need to use the Bootique approach to configure
credentials for anything [1], Cayenne included. E.g. for a sample config [2], you'd be setting
a value for the property "-Dbq.jdbc.mysql.password". Another way (preferred to -D IMO) is
to define a shell variable pointing to the same property, and then exporting the var:
>>> in
>>> BQCoreModule.extend(binder)
>>>   .declareVar("jdbc.mysql.username", "DB_USER");
>>>   .declareVar("jdbc.mysql.password", "DB_PASSWORD");
>>> in startup script:
>>> export DB_PASSWORD=root
>>> export DB_PASSWORD=secret
>>> java -jar my.jar # no password in the Java process sig
>>> Andrus
>>> [1]
>>> [2]
the password is not stored in Git), and the runtime is still using the login information from
the XML file.
a écrit :
> [...]
PasswordEncoding or custom DataSourceFactories. If all that is needed is to change / define
login credentials, the simplest way is via properties [1]. [2] shows an example with a single
DataNode. If you have more than one, you will need to add the project name and the DataNode
name to the base property name. E.g.:
What is the best-practices solution to redact the database user name and password from an
XML file created and used by Cayenne Modeler? The ServerRuntime build statement is simply:
the XML file, but I don't believe in leaving clear-text artifacts like that laying around
in the code, so I want to add the user and password data at runtime from a Java method (not
from an external file or an 'executable', whatever that means in the content of PasswordEncoding).
Adding .user("xyz") and .password("zyx") to the build statement don't work, presumably because
the DataNode is not the default and those statements just set their respective fields for
the default DataNode.
somehow at runtime (though the documentation for doing so is, to be kind, sparse), somehow
implement the PasswordEncoding (even less documentation, because I don't know where it's used),
or just edit the XML at runtime (horrible choice but looking like the best of a bad lot at
this point).
crop up fairly often among Cayenne users (it should, for security reasons IMO). Is there a
simple standard way to do what I want? Or at least a standard way? I don't want to invent
a new wheel here. I feel like I'm missing something obvious that everyone else knows about
and that I just missed. Oh, by the way, whatever the solution is should still allow Cayenne
Modeler to function normally.
StackOverflow had a couple answers that used deprecated methods and didn't work when I tried
so I feel stupid but don't have to spend any more time on this than I have already. :)
A. A. Milne/

View raw message