cayenne-user mailing list archives

From Andrus Adamchik <and...@objectstyle.org>
Subject Re: Redacting db user name and password from XML
Date Mon, 18 Dec 2017 16:49:04 GMT
Hi Mark,

We've done quite a bit of work in Cayenne to avoid complex things like PasswordEncoding or
custom DataSourceFactories. If all that is needed is to change / define login credentials,
the simplest way is via properties [1]. [2] shows an example with a single DataNode. If you
have more than one, you will need to add the project name and the DataNode name to the base
property name. E.g.:

export MY_USER=user
export MY_PASSWORD=secret

java -Dcayenne.jdbc.username.project.mynode=$MY_USER \
     -Dcayenne.jdbc.password.project.mynode=$MY_PASSWORD \
     -jar myapp.jar

Hope this helps,
Andrus

[1] http://cayenne.apache.org/docs/4.0/cayenne-guide/configuration-properties.html
[2] https://stackoverflow.com/questions/45781378/best-practice-to-manage-apache-cayenne-project-xml-file

> On Dec 17, 2017, at 4:23 AM, Mark Hull <mark.mkgnao@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I apologize if this question has been asked and answered before but: What is the best-practices
solution to redact the database user name and password from an XML file created and used by
Cayenne Modeler? The ServerRuntime build statement is simply:

> cayenneRuntime = ServerRuntime.builder()
> .addConfig("com/hulles/a1icia/cayenne/cayenne-a1icia.xml")
>             .build();
>
> It works just fine as long as the db user name and password are in the XML file, but
I don't believe in leaving clear-text artifacts like that laying around in the code, so I
want to add the user and password data at runtime from a Java method (not from an external
file or an 'executable', whatever that means in the content of PasswordEncoding). Adding .user("xyz")
and .password("zyx") to the build statement don't work, presumably because the DataNode is
not the default and those statements just set their respective fields for the default DataNode.

> If I have to, I can create either a Module to change those properties somehow at runtime
(though the documentation for doing so is, to be kind, sparse), somehow implement the PasswordEncoding
(even less documentation, because I don't know where it's used), or just edit the XML at runtime
(horrible choice but looking like the best of a bad lot at this point).

> All this seems like a lot of effort when I imagine this need must crop up fairly often
among Cayenne users (it should, for security reasons IMO). Is there a simple standard way
to do what I want? Or at least a standard way? I don't want to invent a new wheel here. I
feel like I'm missing something obvious that everyone else knows about and that I just missed.
Oh, by the way, whatever the solution is should still allow Cayenne Modeler to function normally.

> I promise I searched for the answer everywhere I could think of. StackOverflow had a
couple answers that used deprecated methods and didn't work when I tried them.

> Thanks in advance for any help. I hope there's a really simple answer so I feel stupid
but don't have to spend any more time on this than I have already. :)