cayenne-user mailing list archives

From Mike Kienenberger <mkien...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Cayenne advantages
Date Mon, 09 Oct 2017 15:55:13 GMT
Well, I'm still on Cayenne 3, but the number one thing for me is ObjectContext.

-- ObjectContext unit of work:  Distinct scratch areas where a set of
changes are proposed, but can be thrown away with no effort, or
committed to the database if kept -- all without ongoing open active
database connections.

-- uniquing of database objects with object context

Most of my work these days is required to be in JPA, and JPA fails to
provide for the above.

Other things I like:

- - custom cgen templates

On Mon, Oct 9, 2017 at 8:36 AM, Andrus Adamchik <andrus@objectstyle.org> wrote:

>> On Oct 9, 2017, at 3:12 PM, Robert Zeigler <robert.zeigler@roxanemy.com> wrote:
>> * Ease of use - the runtime API is well thought-out from a user’s perspective.
I still miss it. In particular, the SelectQuery API is very nice, and Cayenne’s default
approaches to ideas like lazy loading, automatic association of new objects with the object
context, etc.

> And this was before 4.0. Now we have ObjectSelect, SelectById and SQLSelect/SQLExec that
are modern type-safe fluent descendants of SelectQuery/SQLTemplate.

>> * Clear separation of the object from the db models. ORM is great for 90% of the
use-cases in an application. Sometimes, you need to bypass it. Cayenne made bypassing it straightforward
and clean.

> Great to hear that this aspect gets some praise. I have always taken it for granted,
but I guess we shouldn't.

>> * SQLTemplate! You could build an entire, very performant application off of SQLTemplate
and still have a clean application.