cayenne-user mailing list archives

From Robert Zeigler <robert.zeig...@roxanemy.com>
Subject Re: Cayenne advantages
Date Mon, 09 Oct 2017 12:12:16 GMT
Well, these days I do mostly python development, using SQLAlchemy. But I still look to Cayenne
as my gold-standard for an ORM for several reasons.

* Ease of use - the runtime API is well thought-out from a user’s perspective. I still miss
it. In particular, the SelectQuery API is very nice, and Cayenne’s default approaches to
ideas like lazy loading, automatic association of new objects with the object context, etc.
* Clear separation of the object from the db models. ORM is great for 90% of the use-cases
in an application. Sometimes, you need to bypass it. Cayenne made bypassing it straightforward
and clean.
* SQLTemplate! You could build an entire, very performant application off of SQLTemplate and
still have a clean application.

Robert

> On Oct 9, 2017, at 2:32 AM, Aristedes Maniatis <ari@maniatis.org> wrote:
>
> We are currently rebuilding the Cayenne website and would like to refresh its unique
selling points. What is it that brought you to Cayenne and kept you here? I know there are
some EOF escapees who are here because EOF is no longer supported, but what positive reasons
keep you here rather than moving to a JPA or other library?

> This is not about denigrating the alternatives but highlighting what Cayenne does well
and showing new developers why they should try it.