cayenne-user mailing list archives

From Hugi Thordarson <h...@karlmenn.is>
Subject Re: Generating a matchExpression from Property<List<...>>
Date Tue, 26 Sep 2017 11:17:13 GMT
Thanks Nikita! I suspected this was the case.

More of an issue for the dev-list but I've sometimes wondered if it might be sensible to consider
introducing subclasses of Property to handle properties of different types? For examle, a
ToManyRelationshipProperty could include a contains( destinationTypeObject ) method which
would create an Expression to check for a related object, while a StringProperty would use
the current contains( String ) implementation. A somewhat big and potentially breaking change,
though :-/.

Cheers,
- hugi

> On 26 Sep 2017, at 11:08, Nikita Timofeev <ntimofeev@objectstyle.com> wrote:
>
> Hi
>
> No there isn't any shortcut for now, use
> ExpressionFactory.matchExpression( String, Object ), or you can try
> generic erasure tricks, but that's ugly.
> I've created issue for that case sometime ago [1] but not sure how to
> deal with it.
>
> [1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CAY-2332
>
> On Tue, Sep 26, 2017 at 1:04 PM, Hugi Thordarson <hugi@karlmenn.is> wrote:
>> Hi all,
>> is there a shortcut method from Property to check for if a to-many relationship contains
an object? Or should I just use ExpressionFactory.matchExpression( String, Object ) for now?

>> I'm upgrading my templates to use field based data objects, but the new templates
use Property<List<E>> for to-many relationships whereas my old templates just
used Property<E>. The new signature makes sense, but it also means that I can no longer
use Property.eq( E ) for this.