cayenne-user mailing list archives

From <do...@xsinet.co.za>
Subject Re: Validation and @PrePersist
Date Thu, 02 Mar 2017 08:33:32 GMT
Hi Maik

I agree with your reasoning.  So then the original description of how
lifecycle events should behave in 3.1 is conceptually better (i.e. that
PrePersist & PreUpdate occur before validation), and the historical
behaviour is then a bug ?

It would be good for this to be changed, unless there's backward
compatibility issues  :-)

Jurgen

-----Original Message-----
From: Musall, Maik
Sent: Thursday, March 2, 2017 9:53 AM
To: user@cayenne.apache.org
Subject: Re: Validation and @PrePersist

Hi Jurgen,

PostAdd is fine for seting a createDate, but what about an updateDate or
something similar? If these assertions are all true:

1. validation is supposed to not change attributes
2. no more changes should be made after validation happened
3. PrePersist runs after validation

then there is just no place left to set something like an updateDate. Also,
PrePersist would be restricted to do read-only checks that you can also do
during validation, which makes no sense to me conceptually.

Maik