cayenne-user mailing list archives

From "Musall, Maik" <m...@selbstdenker.ag>
Subject Re: Validation and @PrePersist
Date Thu, 02 Mar 2017 08:49:10 GMT
Hi Jurgen,

> Am 02.03.2017 um 09:33 schrieb dollj@xsinet.co.za:
>
> I agree with your reasoning.  So then the original description of how lifecycle events
should behave in 3.1 is conceptually better (i.e. that PrePersist & PreUpdate occur before
validation), and the historical behaviour is then a bug ?

That would be my conclusion, too.

> It would be good for this to be changed, unless there's backward compatibility issues
 :-)

Well, there's no better time to change this than at the beginning of M6, right? :-)

Maik

> -----Original Message----- From: Musall, Maik
> Sent: Thursday, March 2, 2017 9:53 AM
> To: user@cayenne.apache.org
> Subject: Re: Validation and @PrePersist
>
> Hi Jurgen,
>
> PostAdd is fine for seting a createDate, but what about an updateDate or something similar?
If these assertions are all true:

> 1. validation is supposed to not change attributes
> 2. no more changes should be made after validation happened
> 3. PrePersist runs after validation
>
> then there is just no place left to set something like an updateDate. Also, PrePersist
would be restricted to do read-only checks that you can also do during validation, which makes
no sense to me conceptually.

> Maik
>

>> Am 02.03.2017 um 07:56 schrieb dollj@xsinet.co.za:
>>
>> Hi All
>>
>> We had a similar discussion Sept-Oct 2012 where it was noted that there was a discrepancy
between the docs and the implementation. That was with 3.1B where the behaviour was the same
as it is now, i.e. validation occurs before PrePersist (but as noted by Michael the 3.1 docs
incorrectly state "after" ).

>> So I assume that subsequently the docs were updated for cayenne 4 to correctly reflect
the behaviour.

>> Back then it was stated that PostAdd was the correct place to do this kind of thing,
which I think is fine for fields that have standard default values.

>> It can get a bit clumsy sometimes where you sometimes have to have both PostAdd and
PrePersist doing the same thing. For example for a timestamp field where object entity creation
(PostAdd) occurs much earlier than the commit (PrePersist), but you want the commit timestamp.
This is where I would have preferred the behaviour that Hugi is looking for where PrePersist
is called first, before validation.