cayenne-user mailing list archives

From Andrus Adamchik <and...@objectstyle.org>
Subject Re: Cayenne and migrations
Date Thu, 09 Feb 2017 22:41:18 GMT
FWIW, the workflow I am using is "DB-first", and Cayenne 4.0 is providing the tools to make
it practical and mostly automated:

1. Use a migration tool like Flyway or Liquibase to code your migrations in SQL (even more
so when wrapped in bootique-liquibase / bootique-flyway).
2. Run cdbimport from Maven/Ant/Gradle to sync Cayenne model from DB.
3. In the modeler fix any object naming discrepancies, map custom value objects, map inheritance.
4. Run cgen to sync Java classes from Cayenne model
5. Rinse and repeat.

Can someone please explain the workflow with ERX|cayenne migrations? What are the advantages
over the approach above? Does it handle data migrations or only the schema?

Andrus