cayenne-user mailing list archives

From "Musall, Maik" <m...@selbstdenker.ag>
Subject Re: A way to refreshObject()
Date Wed, 22 Feb 2017 13:02:10 GMT
Hi Andrus,

this works, but requires using the newly localObject()ed object instance to be used after
refreshing. Any other references of that object in the original context will still hold the
unchanged values.

Btw, I found the page I mentioned: https://cayenne.apache.org/docs/4.0/cayenne-guide/performance-tuning.html#turning-off-synchronization-of-objectcontexts
<https://cayenne.apache.org/docs/4.0/cayenne-guide/performance-tuning.html#turning-off-synchronization-of-objectcontexts>
I used the mentioned property setting in there to turn of synchronization of ObjectContexts,
for the listed reasons. However, this page says "By default when a single ObjectContext commits
its changes, all other contexts in the same runtime receive an event that contains all the
committed changes", so perhaps there may be a way to send objectcontexts this event regardless?

Maik

> Am 22.02.2017 um 07:37 schrieb Andrus Adamchik <andrus@objectstyle.org>:
>
> Since we mostly focused on policy- and event-based *query* caches, the API for managing
caching of individual objects is not as streamlined, but here it is FWIW:

> T myObject = ..;
> ObjectContext context = myObject.getObjectContext();
> ObjectId id = myObject.getObjectId();
>
> // kick it out, unset ObjectContext (side effect - sets ObjectId to null)
> context.getGraphManager().unregisterNode(id);
>
> // restore ObjectId.. it was set to null in the call above (which we probably should
change)
> myObject.setObjectId(id);
>
> // get a fresh fault
> myObject = context.localObject(myObject);
>
> Andrus
>

>> On Feb 21, 2017, at 11:54 PM, Musall, Maik <maik@selbstdenker.ag> wrote:
>>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I have an application using a big shared snapshot cache. Objects freshly instantiated
in an ObjectContext get their attributes populated based on the snapshot cache at the time,
and keep them during the context's lifetime, which is also what I want. (Last week I found
a page on cayenne.apache.org <http://cayenne.apache.org/> explaining this behaviour,
but I can't find it again. Seems not to live within the linked Guide hierarchy.)

>> In some cases though, I have object instances in ObjectContext 1 which I know are
getting modified in ObjectContext 2, and I want them to be updated after commit in context
1. In EOF, I could call oc1.refreshObject(obj), or even oc1.refreshAllObjects(), which will
merge the new values in from the snapshot cache. Is there any way to do this in Cayenne, short
of refetching which would cost a roundtrip to the database even though I know I already have
the current values in the snapshot cache?

>> (I had a question posted recently about "creating a fault for an ObjectId", but this
is different because I need the commit in context 2 to go through to the database.)