cayenne-user mailing list archives

From Lon Varscsak <lon.varsc...@gmail.com>
Subject Shared Cache and relationships
Date Wed, 16 Nov 2016 22:41:12 GMT
So previously this year, I posted about about how while fetching an object
that it’s relationships weren’t automatically refreshing, even though I was
not caching (myself) any data.  This is where I learned about “shared
caches” and realized that if I turned it off, I kind of get the behavior I
want (except now peer synchronization doesn’t work).  Data within a single
context is cached (if I choose), but once the context is gone, the
snapshots are gone.  It doesn’t seem to make sense that a global cache
would hold onto snapshots beyond the life of the objects across
contexts…but that’s what it appears to do.

The response was, “refresh your relationships with prefetches”.  This
doesn’t seem like a clean solution to me.  It forces the developer to “be
aware” of stale data and force fetches on relationships that they might not
need in that moment.  Realize that a lot of components in my application
might shared data (like a Customer, or an Order), but the components don’t
necessarily access all of the information in those relationships.  I
believe EOF, the snapshot would decrement to 0 (when that snapshot wasn’t
referred to anymore by any context) and the next fetch would be fresh.  Is
there no concept like this for Cayenne?

Any help would be appreciated.  It’s very possible I’m just missing the
obvious approach.

-Lon