cayenne-user mailing list archives

From Andrus Adamchik <and...@objectstyle.org>
Subject Re: Extended class issues
Date Thu, 28 Jul 2016 10:47:31 GMT
Would you mind posting a relevant part of your DataMap XML?

Andrus

> On Jul 13, 2016, at 8:40 PM, Dougan Stuart <doug@swarmbox.com> wrote:
>
> I have a class Company with a one-to-many relationship to other Companies (parentCompany
<- subCompanies). I’m able to set a Company’s parent when creating one, but upon update
I’m getting a NullPointerException in DefaultQuotingStrategy.quotedName because it’s been
sent a null attribute. Company extends the abstract class Entity; on the DB side Entity and
Company have a one-to-one relationship, and Entity has a parentEntity reference (which is
modeled as parentCompany). The obj-relationship parentCompany is set up with the target Company
and path parentEntity.

> The null attribute is being added in org.apache.cayenne.access.DataDomainUpdateBucket.updatedAttributes.
The method is called first with the dbEntity Entity and the an updatedSnapshot containing
parentEntity, which is what I would expect. However, after this updatedAttributes is called
with Company and an updatedSnapshot containing parentEntity, so the following line

> attributes.add(entityAttributes.get(name))
>
> will return a null attribute when trying to get the name “parentEntity” off Company’s
attributes; that attribute only exists on Entity. I’d appreciate any help on preventing
it from trying to add invalid attributes.

> I’m not sure if this is the root cause, but  DataDomainUpdateBucket.appendQueriesInternal
calls updatedAttributes based off the bucket’s dbEntities, which in this case are set in
DataDomainSyncBucket.groupObjEntitiesBySpannedDbEntities; this method is only adding Company
as a “secondary DbEntity” (as referred to in the comments) because Company has a flattened
attribute “name" that does not exist on the Entity.