cayenne-user mailing list archives

From Hugi Thordarson <h...@karlmenn.is>
Subject Re: Dynamically reloading the model on change
Date Mon, 30 May 2016 12:44:20 GMT
I currently use JRebel for class reloading when developing WO. It has a relatively simple plugin
API that can be used to watch changes to Cayenne project files and trigger stuff on file/class
modification. It could replace the ServerRuntime instance, but it would need some way to know
what ServerRuntime instances to replace with a new instance. This could be specified in a
configuration file—or is there some way for me to retrieve all ServerRuntime instances related
to the modified entities?

- hugi

> On 30. maí 2016, at 12:31, Andrus Adamchik <andrus@objectstyle.org> wrote:
>
> Doable in theory - just create a new runtime every time you detect a change. The bigger
question is how practical this is, considering you also need to reload Java classes. I guess
also doable if you run in debug mode that does class reloading.

> Andrus
>
>> On May 30, 2016, at 3:27 PM, Hugi Thordarson <hugi@karlmenn.is> wrote:
>>
>> Hi all,
>> I’ve been working with Ebean for the past couple of months (customer unfortunately
mandated the use of Ebean). I don’t really like working with it, but it has one feature
that I really like—I can change model classes at will (add attributes, relationships etc.)
and the changes take effect immediately, i.e. I don’t need to restart the application.

>> Is it possible to do something similes in Cayenne? I.e., can I make changes to the
model and then reload the runtime, or something of the ilk?