cayenne-user mailing list archives

From Andrus Adamchik <and...@objectstyle.org>
Subject Re: Dynamically reloading the model on change
Date Mon, 30 May 2016 12:48:52 GMT
In a typical app ServerRuntime is a singleton controlled by your code. You are probably creating
it explicitly in your app somewhere on startup. Or are you relying on CayenneFilter to bootstrap
Cayenne? (in which case runtime is accessible via WebUtil.getCayenneRuntime(..)).

Andrus

> On May 30, 2016, at 3:44 PM, Hugi Thordarson <hugi@karlmenn.is> wrote:
>
> I currently use JRebel for class reloading when developing WO. It has a relatively simple
plugin API that can be used to watch changes to Cayenne project files and trigger stuff on
file/class modification. It could replace the ServerRuntime instance, but it would need some
way to know what ServerRuntime instances to replace with a new instance. This could be specified
in a configuration file—or is there some way for me to retrieve all ServerRuntime instances
related to the modified entities?

> - hugi
>

>> On 30. maí 2016, at 12:31, Andrus Adamchik <andrus@objectstyle.org> wrote:
>>
>> Doable in theory - just create a new runtime every time you detect a change. The
bigger question is how practical this is, considering you also need to reload Java classes.
I guess also doable if you run in debug mode that does class reloading.

>> Andrus
>>
>>> On May 30, 2016, at 3:27 PM, Hugi Thordarson <hugi@karlmenn.is> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi all,
>>> I’ve been working with Ebean for the past couple of months (customer unfortunately
mandated the use of Ebean). I don’t really like working with it, but it has one feature
that I really like—I can change model classes at will (add attributes, relationships etc.)
and the changes take effect immediately, i.e. I don’t need to restart the application.

>>> Is it possible to do something similes in Cayenne? I.e., can I make changes to
the model and then reload the runtime, or something of the ilk?