cayenne-user mailing list archives

From Hugi Thordarson <h...@karlmenn.is>
Subject Re: Reconnecting automatically after DB downtime
Date Mon, 07 Mar 2016 21:03:34 GMT
Well, that was easy! Up and running in production.

HikariConfig config = new HikariConfig();
config.setJdbcUrl( "jdbc:mysql://server:3306/database?useUnicode=true&characterEncoding=utf8&autoReconnect=true&connectTimeout=0"
);
config.setUsername( “myUsername" );
config.setPassword( “myPassword" );

HikariDataSource dataSource = new HikariDataSource( config );
serverRuntimeBuilder = serverRuntimeBuilder.dataSource( dataSource );

Thanks,
- hugi

> On 7. mar. 2016, at 20:51, Andrus Adamchik <andrus@objectstyle.org> wrote:
>
> Yep. Cayenne built-in pool is intentionally basic with a minimal number of features (Here
we may be dealing with a bug though, and I'd like to fix it, but that's a separate issue).
So yeah, using a third party DS may be a good idea. Here is an example how you can set it
up:

> DataSource ds = // instantiate it via API specific to you DS provider
>
> ServerRuntime runtime = ServerRuntimeBuilder.builder().dataSource(ds).build();
> // of course add any other things you need to add to the builder to get a working Cayenne
stack.

> Andrus
>

>> On Mar 7, 2016, at 12:45 PM, Hugi Thordarson <hugi@karlmenn.is> wrote:
>>
>> Thanks John! I’m going to try my hand at HikariCP.
>>
>> Are there any examples anywhere on how to configure Cayenne to use a third party
connection pool?

>> Cheers,
>> - hugi
>>

>>> On 7. mar. 2016, at 20:39, John Huss <johnthuss@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> EOF can do JNDI, but that's not going to do anything to fix your problem.
>>>
>>> The connection pool in cayenne had some changes somewhat recently so it's
>>> entirely possible there are bugs.
>>>
>>> In practice it turns out many people don't use the connection pool built-in
>>> to Cayenne at all, and rather use a third-party connection pool, of which
>>> there are several.  The cayenne one is decent, but it is very limited in
>>> functionality and less robust due to having a smaller user base and being a
>>> non-core feature.
>>>
>>> You can use another pool like:
>>> hikari <https://github.com/brettwooldridge/HikariCP> - If I was starting
>>> new project I'd use this
>>> tomcat-jdbc <https://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-7.0-doc/jdbc-pool.html> -
>>> This is what I currently use
>>> commonds-dbcp <https://commons.apache.org/proper/commons-dbcp/>
>>> c3po <http://www.mchange.com/projects/c3p0/>
>>>
>>> The main reason I turned to a third-party connection pool was to get
>>> fair-scheduling which will provide connections to whoever has been waiting
>>> the longest, which helps avoid unnecessary errors caused by serving
>>> requests out of order.
>>>
>>> John

DB