cayenne-user mailing list archives

From Andrus Adamchik <and...@objectstyle.org>
Subject Re: using database generated PK
Date Mon, 07 Dec 2015 06:46:10 GMT
I think we can fix CAY-2040 by ensuring a separate transaction (maybe in a separate thread)
for filling the app PK cache. The more I think about it, the more sense it makes. It is really
separate from the main tx.

Andrus

> On Dec 4, 2015, at 12:45 PM, Aristedes Maniatis <ari@maniatis.org> wrote:
>
> On 3/12/2015 2:08pm, John Huss wrote:
>> The main advantage of a native solution is that you know it works.  If you
>> ever used native PK generation the AUTO_PK_SUPPORT table feels very
>> kludgy.  It works (I guess?), but it's not ideal.  A native solution is
>> faster and simpler.  It handles transactions better.  Most DBs (all?) do PK
>> generation outside of transactions, so incrementing the sequence always
>> persists regardless of transaction rollbacks or commits.
>
> Thanks for your detailed reply. Transactions (this bug) https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CAY-2040
 are exactly why we want to change. Perhaps this is not really a bug, but just a documented
reason not to use this approach and limitation that would be very hard to work around.