cayenne-user mailing list archives

From Aristedes Maniatis <amania...@apache.org>
Subject using database generated PK
Date Wed, 02 Dec 2015 09:30:31 GMT
I've always used the AUTO_PK_SUPPORT approach to PK generation, all the way back from WebObject
EOF days many many years ago.

However a recently discovered bug in this approach [1] and how it intersects with transactions
may require use to think about going over to database generated primary keys with a auto-increment
column. For developers not using an ORM this is pretty common I understand.

What are the downsides to that approach? Is performance, reliability and everything else just
the same? What problem was AUTO_PK_SUPPORT originally designed to solve?

Cheers
Ari

[1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CAY-2040

--