cayenne-user mailing list archives

From Hugi Thordarson <h...@karlmenn.is>
Subject Re: likeIgnoreCase queries and EJBQL
Date Tue, 13 Oct 2015 14:45:13 GMT
> {fn ucase} is JDBC escape syntax, so presumably the driver should convert that to the
proper syntax. If a given driver is not capable of doing that, that has to be addressed in
DbAdapter for that DB. DbAdapter.getEjbqlTranslatorFactory() is how you customize EJBQL translation.
So Mike is right about that.

Thanks… I’ve created my adaptor and ensured that it’s being used along with my new InformixEJBQLSelectTranslator—but
I’m not getting any invocations of visitUpper and the code generated still contains {fn
ucase(…)}. Shouldn’t visitUpper() be where I hook into the generation of the upper statement
for the DB?

https://gist.github.com/hugith/bb68f1944f7a7d754363

> BTW, which DB are we talking about?

Ah, well… It’s informix— and an old version at that. So I would probably always have
had to create my own DbAdaptor anyway.

Cheers,
- hugi

> Andrus
>

>> On Oct 13, 2015, at 5:31 AM, Hugi Thordarson <hugi@karlmenn.is> wrote:
>>
>> Thanks Mike!
>>
>> I’m not sure it this is a database plugin problem though. Doing regular case insensitive
queries works fine, it’s only queries created from EJBQL that fail. Also, the only place
in the Cayenne sources I can find a mention of “ucase" is in EJBQLTranslator’s visitUpper().
Perhaps changing that method to do upper( rather than {fn ucase. might solve the problem?
I’m going to try that out :).

>> https://github.com/apache/cayenne/blob/master/cayenne-server/src/main/java/org/apache/cayenne/access/translator/ejbql/EJBQLConditionTranslator.java#L1058
>>
>> Cheers,
>> - hugi
>>

>>> Sounds like the DbAdaptor for that database needs to be special-cased.
>>> Lots of examples of how this is done in cayenne/dba/<database>/*,
>>> especially for oracle
>>>
>>> And it's pretty simple to set your app up to use a custom version of
>>> the dbAdaptor if you don't want to build your own custom version of
>>> cayenne while you wait until it's included in a release.

in a regular SelectQuery, Cayenne generates SQL using the “UPPER” function (for expressions
generated using likeIgnoreCase). This works fine.

to perform an EJBQLQuery, Cayenne will attempt to use UCASE function in the resulting SQL
and things go awry.