cayenne-user mailing list archives

From Hugi Thordarson <h...@karlmenn.is>
Subject Re: likeIgnoreCase queries and EJBQL
Date Tue, 13 Oct 2015 14:49:45 GMT
Eeek—I actually did it, and it works like a charm! Found out my factory needed to override
getConditionTranslator(), not getSelectTranslator().

https://gist.github.com/hugith/f04fd044b59c4ce60aa9

For the first time, I feel like a total Cayenne Boss™ :)

- hugi

> On 13. okt. 2015, at 14:45, Hugi Thordarson <hugi@karlmenn.is> wrote:
>
>> {fn ucase} is JDBC escape syntax, so presumably the driver should convert that to
the proper syntax. If a given driver is not capable of doing that, that has to be addressed
in DbAdapter for that DB. DbAdapter.getEjbqlTranslatorFactory() is how you customize EJBQL
translation. So Mike is right about that.

> Thanks… I’ve created my adaptor and ensured that it’s being used along with my
new InformixEJBQLSelectTranslator—but I’m not getting any invocations of visitUpper and
the code generated still contains {fn ucase(…)}. Shouldn’t visitUpper() be where I hook
into the generation of the upper statement for the DB?

> https://gist.github.com/hugith/bb68f1944f7a7d754363
>
>> BTW, which DB are we talking about?
>
> Ah, well… It’s informix— and an old version at that. So I would probably always
have had to create my own DbAdaptor anyway.

> Cheers,
> - hugi
>

>> Andrus
>>

>>> On Oct 13, 2015, at 5:31 AM, Hugi Thordarson <hugi@karlmenn.is> wrote:
>>>
>>> Thanks Mike!
>>>
>>> I’m not sure it this is a database plugin problem though. Doing regular case
insensitive queries works fine, it’s only queries created from EJBQL that fail. Also, the
only place in the Cayenne sources I can find a mention of “ucase" is in EJBQLTranslator’s
visitUpper(). Perhaps changing that method to do upper( rather than {fn ucase. might solve
the problem? I’m going to try that out :).

>>> https://github.com/apache/cayenne/blob/master/cayenne-server/src/main/java/org/apache/cayenne/access/translator/ejbql/EJBQLConditionTranslator.java#L1058
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> - hugi

in a regular SelectQuery, Cayenne generates SQL using the “UPPER” function (for expressions
generated using likeIgnoreCase). This works fine.

string to perform an EJBQLQuery, Cayenne will attempt to use UCASE function in the resulting
SQL and things go awry.