cayenne-user mailing list archives

From Andrus Adamchik <and...@objectstyle.org>
Subject Re: likeIgnoreCase queries and EJBQL
Date Tue, 13 Oct 2015 13:28:40 GMT
{fn ucase} is JDBC escape syntax, so presumably the driver should convert that to the proper
syntax. If a given driver is not capable of doing that, that has to be addressed in DbAdapter
for that DB. DbAdapter.getEjbqlTranslatorFactory() is how you customize EJBQL translation.
So Mike is right about that.

BTW, which DB are we talking about?

Andrus

> On Oct 13, 2015, at 5:31 AM, Hugi Thordarson <hugi@karlmenn.is> wrote:
>
> Thanks Mike!
>
> I’m not sure it this is a database plugin problem though. Doing regular case insensitive
queries works fine, it’s only queries created from EJBQL that fail. Also, the only place
in the Cayenne sources I can find a mention of “ucase" is in EJBQLTranslator’s visitUpper().
Perhaps changing that method to do upper( rather than {fn ucase. might solve the problem?
I’m going to try that out :).

> https://github.com/apache/cayenne/blob/master/cayenne-server/src/main/java/org/apache/cayenne/access/translator/ejbql/EJBQLConditionTranslator.java#L1058
>
> Cheers,
> - hugi
>

>> Sounds like the DbAdaptor for that database needs to be special-cased.
>> Lots of examples of how this is done in cayenne/dba/<database>/*,
>> especially for oracle
>>
>> And it's pretty simple to set your app up to use a custom version of
>> the dbAdaptor if you don't want to build your own custom version of
>> cayenne while you wait until it's included in a release.
>>
>> On Mon, Oct 12, 2015 at 12:46 PM, Hugi Thordarson <hugi@karlmenn.is> wrote:
>>> Hi all.
>>>
>>> I’m communicating with a database that doesn’t have the UCASE function, only
UPPER.

>>> When I use case insensitive expressions (for example, User.NAME.likeIgnoreCase(“Bob”))
in a regular SelectQuery, Cayenne generates SQL using the “UPPER” function (for expressions
generated using likeIgnoreCase). This works fine.

>>> But if I generate EJBQL from the expression and then use the resulting string
to perform an EJBQLQuery, Cayenne will attempt to use UCASE function in the resulting SQL
and things go awry.