cayenne-user mailing list archives

From Andrus Adamchik <and...@objectstyle.org>
Subject Re: Fetching distinct related objects
Date Wed, 23 Sep 2015 07:54:21 GMT
I'd say you should and you are very much encouraged to do it :)

In fact this one probably goes way back, when we still tried to work within the JPA spec constraints.
So this may have been an intentional limitation that we should no longer abide by. Try this
workaround - replacing the relationship in SELECT clause with an alias, and let us know if
that made a difference:

  "select distinct s from Receipt receipt inner join receipt.shop s”

Andrus

> On Sep 23, 2015, at 10:40 AM, Hugi Thordarson <hugi@karlmenn.is> wrote:
>
> What? Are you saying I shouldn’t be using pre-release software in a production environment?
Ghastly! ;)

> Filed:
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CAY-2031
>
> Thanks,
> - hugi
>

>> On 23. sep. 2015, at 07:13, Andrus Adamchik <andrus@objectstyle.org> wrote:
>>
>> This is a bug.
>>
>>> On Sep 22, 2015, at 5:36 PM, Hugi Thordarson <hugi@karlmenn.is> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> I’m trying to retrieve a list of distinct related objects. If I execute an
EJBQL-query that looks like this…

>>> "select distinct receipt.shop from Receipt receipt”
>>>
>>> …where “shop” is a relationship on the “Receipt”-entity, I get an exception
that looks like this:

>>> https://gist.github.com/hugith/c3f48c4576e6a55383b3
>>>
>>> Doing the same fetch without the distinct keyword works fine (returns a list
of Shop objects). Also, performing a distinct fetch on attributes of “Shop” works fine,
like so:

>>> "select distinct receipt.shop.name from Receipt receipt”
>>>
>>> Is this a bug or am I going around this the wrong way? How would you go about
constructing a fetch for distinct related objects?