cayenne-user mailing list archives

From Joe Baldwin <jfbald...@earthlink.net>
Subject Re: Version API
Date Mon, 27 Jul 2015 13:21:11 GMT
> No, it wasn't. You are not reading my reply.

Perhaps, but if that is true, then it is possible you were not reading my question as well.

1. My goal is to display the version of cayenne server jar I have added to the project with
Cayenne 4.0.
2. With Cayenne 3.0 this was *easily* accomplished with
3. I am doing this as part of a status to provide a *simple* visual verification of system
health for my system administrator.
4. This definition is no longer available in 4.0/
5. If I understand your 3 or 4 emails, then I need to employ the use of an extension library
in order to get the version of the cayenne-server.jar.  In addition, it appears to be part
of a maven repository.
6. If that is correct then, what was a very simple query of the cayenne-server api version,
has become a much more complex and convoluted procedure to determine.
7. If that is true (which it appears to be from your last email - detailing and additional
filter, an addition jar file,etc), then the conclusion is that a “simple query of the jar
version” (previously available in Cayenne 3.0) is no longer available.

If all that is true (which it appears to be), then there is no simple substitute for 3.0’s

in 4.0.

IMHO, your substitute may be a substitute, but it is not a simple query against the cayenne-server
jar for the runtime version as it was in 3.0.  In addition, I have done an exhaustive search
through the API to find a simple substitute but could find none. Therefore, I believe I do
understand.

If you have a more 3.0 way of accomplishing this, please let me know. Otherwise, I would not
use your example as a simple substitute.

> On Jul 27, 2015, at 8:35 AM, Andrus Adamchik <andrus@objectstyle.org> wrote:
>
> No, it wasn't. You are not reading my reply.
>

>> On Jul 27, 2015, at 3:25 PM, Joe Baldwin <jfbaldwin@earthlink.net> wrote:
>>
>> I am not using Maven.
>>
>> So it appears that the answer is that the version has been eliminated from the runtime.
>>
>> Thanks anyway.
>>

>>> On Jul 27, 2015, at 8:13 AM, Andrus Adamchik <andrus@objectstyle.org> wrote:
>>>
>>> No, I was answering your question. I thought you'd be able to figure it out from
the information that I shared already. But no worries, here are more details:

>>> 1. Download cayenne-project.jar from http://search.maven.org/#artifactdetails|org.apache.cayenne|cayenne-project|4.0.M2|jar
and add it to your dependencies. Or if you are using Maven, simply include cayenne-project
in your pom.

>>> 2. Add CayenneProjectModule to your runtime on startup. You are using CayenneFilter,
so that would look something like this:

>>> <filter>
>>> <filter-name>cayenne-project</filter-name>
>>>      <filter-class>org.apache.cayenne.configuration.web.CayenneFilter</filter-class>
>>>  <init-param>
>>>    <param-name>extra-modules</param-name>
>>>    <param-value>org.apache.cayenne.project.CayenneProjectModule</param-value>
>>>  </init-param>
>>> </filter>
>>>
>>> This would ensure CayenneProjectModule is loaded.
>>>
>>> 3. Use the API:
>>>
>>> CayenneRuntime r = WebUtil.getCayenneRuntime(servletContext);
>>> ProjectUpgrader u = r.getInjector().getInstance(ProjectUpgrader.class);
>>> String version = u.getUpgradeHandler().getUpgradeMetaData().getSupportedVersion();
>>>
>>> Andrus

DI module now has a service org.apache.cayenne.project.ProjectUpgrader that gives you access
to UpgradeHandler that gives you access to UpgradeMetaData. UpgradeMetaData has the version
supported by a given runtime.

obtain the current Cayenne project version from the Cayenne runtime.  Is it possible you don’t
understand my question?   I am looking for a simple replacement for a runtime project version,
so I can print is on a webpage.  This is a *simple* method call  I am looking for.

4.0 API. Do you have a url reference?