cayenne-user mailing list archives

From Mike Kienenberger <mkien...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: A bunch of stuff is deprecated.
Date Fri, 31 Jul 2015 17:08:39 GMT
I haven't gotten to the point of converting from 3.x to 4.x, but I'm
surprised to hear that the entity *_PROPERTY fields are deprecated.
These values are generated in the templates, so they're totally under
the developer's control.  They're not considered part of the cayenne
core library since you can customize your generated _superclass file
or even do away with it completely.

When I look at ....git/cayenne/cayenne-tools/src/main/resources/templates/v1_2/superclass.vm,
I don't see any indication that the generated properties are
deprecated.

Maybe I am misunderstanding what you are asking about?

On Fri, Jul 31, 2015 at 12:50 PM, Joe Baldwin <jfbaldwin@earthlink.net> wrote:
> I hope you enjoyed my technical description in the subject heading. :)  But it is, in
fact, accurate.

> (Context: I am converting from 3.0 to 4.0):
>
> I have been following Cayenne best practices and have been building queries (and quite
a few of the, I might add) with Cayenne-Entity-Property conventions.  Simple example:

>         Expression exp = ExpressionFactory.matchExp(Product.IS_DISABLED_PROPERTY, false);
>
> In addition, I have been using the Cayenne PROPERTY definitions as part of my core logic.
>
> Now I find (in 4.0) that all of these PROPERTY definitions are Deprecated.
>
> Other than my personal opinion, that I am not terribly excited about the prospect of
ripping out all of my core logic,  I would like to find out if this conversion is going to
be easier that I estimate.   (As usual, I have tried to search the docs and could not find
a good “how-to” for a simple functional replacement that would also give me access to
the String value of the property (for display purposes).

> Question:
> If there is a good how-to/tutorial, please provide the link, if not, then could you please
provide one simple example and one more complex example so I can get to work on this?