cayenne-user mailing list archives

From Andrus Adamchik <and...@objectstyle.org>
Subject Re: A bunch of stuff is deprecated.
Date Fri, 31 Jul 2015 17:20:17 GMT
In 4.0 M3, we un-deprecated props in the template, as it was annoying indeed. Instead we made
their generation optional per https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CAY-1991 . So if you have
a new app, you won't get String properties, only Property objects. If you want to try it,
you can get an unofficial build of Cayenne HEAD from here:

http://maven.objectstyle.org/nexus/content/repositories/cayenne-unofficial/org/apache/cayenne/cayenne-server/4.0.M3.0ac54cb/

In M2 your option is to use a custom cgen template, removing deprecation stuff.

Andrus

> On Jul 31, 2015, at 8:08 PM, Mike Kienenberger <mkienenb@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I haven't gotten to the point of converting from 3.x to 4.x, but I'm
> surprised to hear that the entity *_PROPERTY fields are deprecated.
> These values are generated in the templates, so they're totally under
> the developer's control.  They're not considered part of the cayenne
> core library since you can customize your generated _superclass file
> or even do away with it completely.
>
> When I look at ....git/cayenne/cayenne-tools/src/main/resources/templates/v1_2/superclass.vm,
> I don't see any indication that the generated properties are
> deprecated.
>
> Maybe I am misunderstanding what you are asking about?
>

> On Fri, Jul 31, 2015 at 12:50 PM, Joe Baldwin <jfbaldwin@earthlink.net> wrote:
>> I hope you enjoyed my technical description in the subject heading. :)  But it is,
in fact, accurate.

>> (Context: I am converting from 3.0 to 4.0):
>>
>> I have been following Cayenne best practices and have been building queries (and
quite a few of the, I might add) with Cayenne-Entity-Property conventions.  Simple example:

>>        Expression exp = ExpressionFactory.matchExp(Product.IS_DISABLED_PROPERTY,
false);

>> In addition, I have been using the Cayenne PROPERTY definitions as part of my core
logic.

>> Now I find (in 4.0) that all of these PROPERTY definitions are Deprecated.
>>
>> Other than my personal opinion, that I am not terribly excited about the prospect
of ripping out all of my core logic,  I would like to find out if this conversion is going
to be easier that I estimate.   (As usual, I have tried to search the docs and could not find
a good “how-to” for a simple functional replacement that would also give me access to
the String value of the property (for display purposes).

>> Question:
>> If there is a good how-to/tutorial, please provide the link, if not, then could you
please provide one simple example and one more complex example so I can get to work on this?