cayenne-user mailing list archives

From Andrus Adamchik <and...@objectstyle.org>
Subject Re: Cayenne Modeler - DbEntity Configuration - Catalog
Date Mon, 06 Jul 2015 00:25:52 GMT

> On Jul 5, 2015, at 2:44 PM, Joe Baldwin <jfbaldwin@earthlink.net> wrote:
>
> What does Cayenne Modeler -> DbEntity Configuration -> Catalog  configuration field
refer to?

> (I could find no documentation on this.  The Javadocs simply note the name.)   It appears
to pre-append a name to the database-name in the generated SQL.

Just like "schema", "catalog" is a database term standardized in JDBC (e.g. https://docs.oracle.com/javase/8/docs/api/java/sql/DatabaseMetaData.html#getCatalogs--
)

In the most general case, a database engine organizes its data in catalogs, catalogs contain
schemas, schemas contain tables. Not all DBs support catalogs and schemas, and not all DB's
are using these terms. E.g. in MySQL "database" is equal to JDBC "catalog" and there's no
schema concept. Oracle supports both catalogs and schemas, etc.

Andrus