cayenne-user mailing list archives

From Joe Baldwin <jfbald...@earthlink.net>
Subject Re: Cayenne Modeler - DbEntity Configuration - Catalog
Date Mon, 06 Jul 2015 00:43:48 GMT
I guess these definitions change a bit given the DBMS.

Some discussions claim that Catalog is like Database, while Schema is like Table.   That seems
to fit with the Modeler’s implementation (MySQL), so that when the sql is generated it looks
like

	 Catalog.Schema

MySQL Workbench has a section called “SCHEMAS”, which is, at the top level, a list of
database names (or Catalogs).

I guess what I take away from this, is that if I change DBMS, I should test by inspecting
the generated sql.

Thanks
Joe

> On Jul 5, 2015, at 8:25 PM, Andrus Adamchik <andrus@objectstyle.org> wrote:
>

>> On Jul 5, 2015, at 2:44 PM, Joe Baldwin <jfbaldwin@earthlink.net> wrote:
>>
>> What does Cayenne Modeler -> DbEntity Configuration -> Catalog  configuration
field refer to?

>> (I could find no documentation on this.  The Javadocs simply note the name.)   It
appears to pre-append a name to the database-name in the generated SQL.

> Just like "schema", "catalog" is a database term standardized in JDBC (e.g. https://docs.oracle.com/javase/8/docs/api/java/sql/DatabaseMetaData.html#getCatalogs--
)

> In the most general case, a database engine organizes its data in catalogs, catalogs
contain schemas, schemas contain tables. Not all DBs support catalogs and schemas, and not
all DB's are using these terms. E.g. in MySQL "database" is equal to JDBC "catalog" and there's
no schema concept. Oracle supports both catalogs and schemas, etc.