cayenne-user mailing list archives

From Andrus Adamchik <and...@objectstyle.org>
Subject Re: Cayenne design Patterns
Date Fri, 12 Jun 2015 10:40:11 GMT
Yep, this is exactly what I had in mind when talking how the available tools drive your design
decisions. An ability to add something to the object in a given context can be a game changer.
It was there in Objective C, but is not present in the vanilla Java.

Andrus

> On Jun 12, 2015, at 12:14 PM, Aristedes Maniatis <ari@maniatis.org> wrote:

>> To summarize, both domain-centric and service-centric architectures have their advantages
and downsides. In an ideal world there should be just the right mix of the two. Achieving
that can be hard sometimes, and the actual proportion depends on the scope of the system and
the tools that you have in your possession.

> I'm really liking Groovy these days. It has a concept of "categories" which allow you
to inject additional methods right into your domain objects.

> http://docs.groovy-lang.org/latest/html/gapi/groovy/lang/Category.html
>
> I'm still getting my head around how that changes the architecture of systems, but the
ease of mixing groovy inside Java applications is allowing us to explore aspects of this right
now. For example, to enhance Cayenne objects when passing them into JasperReports for printing.