cayenne-user mailing list archives

From Andrus Adamchik <and...@objectstyle.org>
Subject LinkETL - soliciting naming ideas
Date Thu, 11 Jun 2015 14:48:21 GMT
Sorry for a somewhat OT post.

There's this fairly new Cayenne-based project called LinkETL [1]. It is a model-driven dynamically-configurable
framework to acquire data from external sources and save it in your database. The original
scenario for LinkETL was to handle data integration between a large number of smaller DB schemas
("application databases" [2]). This worked really well, allowing us to create precise and
easy to understand DB models for various aspects of an enterprise, and yet let them work together,
without blocking the evolution of individual schemas.

This is not the only scenario of course. This can be used as a more powerful replacement of
the good old Cayenne DataPort task. Or really for any task that requires to pump data from
an external data source to a DB that you control.

Now we realized that "ETL" in the name is wrong, as it has data warehouse connotations. So
looking for another name for this project. All the most obvious names (e.g. 'datapump") are
already taken by various commercial and open source projects. So I figured we may croudsource
the name selection :) So asking the community for the naming ideas...

Cheers,
Andrus

[1] https://github.com/nhl/link-etl
[2] http://martinfowler.com/bliki/ApplicationDatabase.html