cayenne-user mailing list archives

From Mike Kienenberger <mkien...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: How to use JNDI in development
Date Sat, 26 Apr 2014 00:11:11 GMT
On Fri, Apr 25, 2014 at 7:27 PM, D Tim Cummings <tim@triptera.com.au> wrote:

> I am certainly finding jetty easier than tomcat in eclipse and once I get more familiar
with it I may recommend it for production.  I am a bit concerned at all the different versions
of jetty floating around with so many people sticking to old versions. Many people use version
6 while version 9 is recommended by http://www.eclipse.org/jetty. RunJettyRun doesn't have
a version 9 option.

Really, once you get the basics of the jetty config file, it's just
faster and easier to run jetty directly rather than messing around
with the eclipse plugin.   You don't have to worry about the plugin
supporting your jetty version or settings.   When you want to upgrade,
you just update your user library to contain the new jetty version.

> Embedded jetty sounds very tempting. I am not sure what the deployment options on Windows
are. I can't expect my Windows users to go to the command line, and I don't know enough about
Windows to create alternative launch techniques.

Basically, you build a jar file instead of a war/ear file, then you
just run it with java -jar myapp.jar.   You'd probably want to set an
environment variable to point at your config file or something along
those lines.