cayenne-user mailing list archives

From D Tim Cummings <...@triptera.com.au>
Subject Re: How to use JNDI in development
Date Fri, 25 Apr 2014 23:13:28 GMT
Thanks Andrus. This works

On 26 Apr 2014, at 1:59, Andrus Adamchik <andrus@objectstyle.org> wrote:

>> I don't necessarily have to solve these problems if you can recommend an alternative
way of keeping database config separate to the war.

> Absolutely! Cayenne 3.1 solves this exact problem. You specify JNDI in the mapping, but
in development you’d override that with a set of properties with -D. Here is a list of properties:

> http://cayenne.apache.org/docs/3.1/cayenne-guide/configuration-properties.html
>
> Those that start with “cayenne.jdbc.*” is what you need to define to get yourself
a local DataSource without JNDI.

> Andrus
>
> On Apr 25, 2014, at 4:38 AM, D Tim Cummings <tim@triptera.com.au> wrote:
>
>> Hi
>>
>> I am using cayenne in a tapestry project and my final deployment will be in Tomcat
7 using JNDI for defining the data source. I am developing in Eclipse 4.3.1 and would like
my development environment to be as close to deployment as possible. What is the recommended
way of using JNDI in development.

>> I have tried the instructions on
>>
>> http://tynamo.org/Developing+with+Tomcat+and+Eclipse
>>
>> using sysdeo tomcat plugin for eclipse. I haven't been able to get it to read the
jndi information.

>> Apr 25, 2014 11:25:40 AM org.apache.catalina.deploy.NamingResources addResource
>> WARNING: Failed to create MBean for naming resource [null]
>>
>> I have tried using RunJettyRun but get.
>>
>> Exception happened when loading Jetty.xml:
>> java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: org.eclipse.jetty.plus.jndi.Resource
>>

>> RunJettyRun works great when I configure cayenne-project.xml to XMLPoolingDataSourceFactory
but I don't want to have to keep switching between this and JNDI when ready to deploy. I would
also prefer to use tomcat in dev so it is same as prod.

>> JNDI works great when I build a war file and deploy to tomcat but that would slow
my development if I had to do that every time.

>> I don't necessarily have to solve these problems if you can recommend an alternative
way of keeping database config separate to the war. The war will be deployed by unskilled
users on Windows and skilled users on Linux and Mac so I am trying to keep the steps to deploy
simple and not hard code absolute paths of properties files into my app.