cayenne-user mailing list archives

From D Tim Cummings <...@triptera.com.au>
Subject How to use JNDI in development
Date Fri, 25 Apr 2014 01:38:08 GMT
Hi

I am using cayenne in a tapestry project and my final deployment will be in Tomcat 7 using
JNDI for defining the data source. I am developing in Eclipse 4.3.1 and would like my development
environment to be as close to deployment as possible. What is the recommended way of using
JNDI in development.

I have tried the instructions on

http://tynamo.org/Developing+with+Tomcat+and+Eclipse

using sysdeo tomcat plugin for eclipse. I haven't been able to get it to read the jndi information.

Apr 25, 2014 11:25:40 AM org.apache.catalina.deploy.NamingResources addResource
WARNING: Failed to create MBean for naming resource [null]

I have tried using RunJettyRun but get.

Exception happened when loading Jetty.xml:
java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: org.eclipse.jetty.plus.jndi.Resource

RunJettyRun works great when I configure cayenne-project.xml to XMLPoolingDataSourceFactory
but I don't want to have to keep switching between this and JNDI when ready to deploy. I would
also prefer to use tomcat in dev so it is same as prod.

JNDI works great when I build a war file and deploy to tomcat but that would slow my development
if I had to do that every time.

I don't necessarily have to solve these problems if you can recommend an alternative way of
keeping database config separate to the war. The war will be deployed by unskilled users on
Windows and skilled users on Linux and Mac so I am trying to keep the steps to deploy simple
and not hard code absolute paths of properties files into my app.

Thanks

Tim