cayenne-user mailing list archives

From "Christian Grobmeier" <grobme...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: cayenne library changes log level in struts2
Date Tue, 03 Dec 2013 14:43:56 GMT
On 3 Dec 2013, at 15:37, Mike Kienenberger wrote:

> There was no slf4j or log4j2 when we chose our logging system.
>
> But even today, I'd still say commons logging makes the most sense for
> a framework like Cayenne since every other logging system works well
> with it, which allows the end-user to decide which logging system they
> want to select for their own applications.

With slf4j/log4j2 you can choose your logging api at your own will too.

Personally I consider Commons Logging a risk and would not add it into
my projects today.
Its not well maintained and future developments of the other frameworks
will most
likely not look that much into Commons Logging.

But well, I am biased on that.

> On Tue, Dec 3, 2013 at 9:30 AM, Christian Grobmeier
> <grobmeier@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 3 Dec 2013, at 14:52, Mike Kienenberger wrote:
>>
>>> Everyone has their favorite logger.
>>>
>>> The commons logging api is supported by all of them, sometimes
>>> without
>>> even needing the actual commons logging jars, as I'm sure you
>>> already
>>> know. :-)
>>

>> The log4j 2 API provides the same. Support for Commons Logging,
>> slf4j,
>> Logback, log4j1 and so on.
>> Just maintained and with a nice api. Oh, and its the fastest logging
>> library:
>> http://www.grobmeier.de/log4j-2-performance-close-to-insane-20072013.html
>>
>> In my app i have bridged Cayenne logging to log4j2 btw.
>> It works, but I was wondering why Commons Logging came into play. I
>> would
>> have understood slf4j (even when I prefer log4j2)
>>

>>> On Tue, Dec 3, 2013 at 8:45 AM, Christian Grobmeier
>>> <grobmeier@gmail.com>

>> ---
>> http://www.grobmeier.de
>> @grobmeier