cayenne-user mailing list archives

From "Christian Grobmeier" <grobme...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: cayenne library changes log level in struts2
Date Tue, 03 Dec 2013 17:20:00 GMT
On 3 Dec 2013, at 16:14, Mike Kienenberger wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 3, 2013 at 10:01 AM, Andrus Adamchik
> <andrus@objectstyle.org> wrote:
>> Ideally I’d love to have zero dependency on a third-party logging
>> framework. So that probably means using j.u.l and let the users
>> bridge that as they want. Wonder if we’ll make everyone’s life
>> miserable as a result?
>
> No, we made that horrible mistake of going with j.u.l at MyFaces a
> while back based in part on my lobbying for it.  It is a disaster to
> end-users to have j.u.l as the default logging system.   There's no
> way to bridge from j.u.l back to something else without huge
> performance hits, so you lose any control over what logging system
> your end-users can use.   It's very difficult to get it to read
> configuration information from a file.   It has horrible two-line
> logging output by default, which is again difficult to change.   At
> least under weblogic app servers, you cannot identify which
> applications are generating which log messages, and I'm pretty sure
> that this is true in general for it.
>
> Really, there's nothing good you can say about it other than it might
> save you the 721K commons logging dependency.

I agree here. Jul is painfully broken and doesn't work well with others.
Even bridging from $x to Jul is painful.

However I am currently preparing to put some effort into a new Logging
JSR:
https://java.net/projects/newlogging
So far I didn't haven the time yet, but I plan to push this around xmas.

Imagine a logging proxy like slf4j or log4j2 in the JDK. Not
implementation like
JUL, just the interfaces. This is the goal. Unfortunately this will be a
tough road
and if it ever happens is not sure.

---
http://www.grobmeier.de