cayenne-user mailing list archives

From Mike Kienenberger <mkien...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Removing "use shared cache" option
Date Mon, 04 Nov 2013 13:40:45 GMT
Having separate ServerRuntimes would require separate connections to
the database, correct? If so, that would not scale well.

I'm guessing it would also use quite a bit more memory if each session
had its own ServerRuntime, depending on the size of your data model.

On Mon, Nov 4, 2013 at 8:29 AM, Andrus Adamchik <andrus@objectstyle.org> wrote:
> Wonder if there’s any benefit here vs. just starting separate ServerRuntimes per session?
>
> On Nov 4, 2013, at 4:24 PM, Mike Kienenberger <mkienenb@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I was considering unchecking it to force every session of my web
>> application to work with its own set of records from the database.
>>
>> On Mon, Nov 4, 2013 at 2:16 AM, Aristedes Maniatis <ari@maniatis.org> wrote:
>>> We experimented with that option and unticking it caused expected behaviour that
was quite hard to understand. Particularly in how it inter-related to the object cache. Dima
is the person who knows all the details of that experiment.

>>> I certainly remember thinking to myself "never uncheck that option".
>>>
>>> Ari

from the Modeler and for the corresponding code in the framework. This is about a strategy
for a *snapshot* cache that is used to save a DB trip when resolving to-one relationships
or checking a previously committed state of a modified object. The alternative (i.e. when
it is unchecked, and a per-context cache is used) is not very useful IMO and the need to support
both strategies results in lots of dirty code.