cayenne-user mailing list archives

From Mike Kienenberger <mkien...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Removing "use shared cache" option
Date Mon, 04 Nov 2013 13:24:33 GMT
I was considering unchecking it to force every session of my web
application to work with its own set of records from the database.

On Mon, Nov 4, 2013 at 2:16 AM, Aristedes Maniatis <ari@maniatis.org> wrote:
> We experimented with that option and unticking it caused expected behaviour that was
quite hard to understand. Particularly in how it inter-related to the object cache. Dima is
the person who knows all the details of that experiment.

> I certainly remember thinking to myself "never uncheck that option".
>
> Ari

>> Hi everyone,
>>
>> I’ve been considering removing support for “Use Shared Cache” checkbox from
the Modeler and for the corresponding code in the framework. This is about a strategy for
a *snapshot* cache that is used to save a DB trip when resolving to-one relationships or checking
a previously committed state of a modified object. The alternative (i.e. when it is unchecked,
and a per-context cache is used) is not very useful IMO and the need to support both strategies
results in lots of dirty code.