cayenne-user mailing list archives

From Andrus Adamchik <and...@objectstyle.org>
Subject Re: Removing "use shared cache" option
Date Mon, 04 Nov 2013 13:29:31 GMT
Wonder if there’s any benefit here vs. just starting separate ServerRuntimes per session?

On Nov 4, 2013, at 4:24 PM, Mike Kienenberger <mkienenb@gmail.com> wrote:

> I was considering unchecking it to force every session of my web
> application to work with its own set of records from the database.
>
> On Mon, Nov 4, 2013 at 2:16 AM, Aristedes Maniatis <ari@maniatis.org> wrote:
>> We experimented with that option and unticking it caused expected behaviour that
was quite hard to understand. Particularly in how it inter-related to the object cache. Dima
is the person who knows all the details of that experiment.

>> I certainly remember thinking to myself "never uncheck that option".
>>
>> Ari
>>

>> On 4/11/2013 5:36pm, Andrus Adamchik wrote:
>>> Hi everyone,
>>>
>>> I’ve been considering removing support for “Use Shared Cache” checkbox
from the Modeler and for the corresponding code in the framework. This is about a strategy
for a *snapshot* cache that is used to save a DB trip when resolving to-one relationships
or checking a previously committed state of a modified object. The alternative (i.e. when
it is unchecked, and a per-context cache is used) is not very useful IMO and the need to support
both strategies results in lots of dirty code.