cayenne-user mailing list archives

From Mike Kienenberger <mkien...@gmail.com>
Subject Creating a new ServerRuntime from an existing ServerRuntime
Date Fri, 27 Sep 2013 15:46:26 GMT
The idea of creating a new ServerRuntime is good, but the
implementation leaves  me with a few questions.    My ServerRuntime is
created in the context of the web app.

Is it reasonable to try to create it using the information in the
existing ServerRuntime?   Can I pull the injector and modules out of
the existing Runtime and reuse them to create a new runtime, or do I
need to create copies of the existing modules and injector?   My guess
is that each runtime needs unique injector and modules objects, but I
want to minimize the work I need to do.

It looks like I have to pull my configurationLocation out of the
ServerModule, which doesn't really provide it.

I'm not seeing an easy way to create a new ServerRuntime from scratch
without having access to data which was only available back when the
web application started up, short of storing that information
somewhere globally and reusing it.

On Tue, Sep 24, 2013 at 2:04 PM, Andrus Adamchik <andrus@objectstyle.org> wrote:
>> The "special DataContext" case where the qualifier should be ignored can probably
be handled by starting a separate ServerRuntime, where you can strip off the qualifiers. For
whatever overhead it creates (ideally not much), this has an advantage of cleanly separating
"spaces" with different ORM rules.

> Elaborating on this a bit… The old Configuration allowed multiple DataDomains, each
of those requiring its own DataMap(s) saved in the project upfront. Good idea, but hard to
use in practice.

> ServerRuntime (with single DD each) is more user-friendly. By starting multiple independent
runtimes you to easily reuse a single mapping project, tweaking each in-memory copy local
to each Runtime (as well as tweaking other parameters like cache). 2 Runtimes can reuse a
single DataSource (JNDI, or otherwise), etc.