cayenne-user mailing list archives

From Aristedes Maniatis <...@maniatis.org>
Subject Re: Scale out
Date Wed, 29 May 2013 23:39:00 GMT
On 29/05/13 8:14pm, Christian Grobmeier wrote:
> My concern is the Cayenne caching mostly. What if
> App1 is doing an update and the next requests select from App2?

No one can answer this other than you. What does happen?

Are you writing an ecommerce system where data has to be fresh to the millisecond? Or does
data need to be consistent per user/session? If the latter, sticky sessions will help you.
If the former, you may need to remove the cache entirely or use a distributed cache like Terracotta
[1]

 From my own experience with distributed caching, it can get very complicated very quickly.
Luckily we were able to avoid all caching in the critical parts of the application, and plenty
of non-distributed caching in the other parts where performance was critical but 20 minutes
of staleness was OK.

Ari

[1] http://www.ehcache.org/documentation/2.4/terracotta/distributed-caching-with-terracotta

--