cayenne-user mailing list archives

From Aristedes Maniatis <...@maniatis.org>
Subject Re: [ann] Apache Cayenne 3.1 goes beta
Date Wed, 10 Apr 2013 23:36:54 GMT
On 10/04/13 11:42pm, Robert Huber @ 7r wrote:
>> Another thought (you mentioned that you output PDF) is that you could easily create
an XSLT to take the Cayenne Model and turn it into an html report. Happy to assist with that
since I've worked on a lot of xslt now.
> As there seems to be no Print… menu, this would may be help to get an ER-Diagram to
print. How do you do it?

The general principle is this:

1 create an xslt file
2 run a tool [1] and feed it the cayenne model and the xslt file as the two inputs
3 out comes the html
4 mix with a little css to make it pretty

Of course the real magic is in the xslt file itself. If you have a web designer available
to you, work with them on creating an html file example which demonstrates what you want.
Creating the xslt itself is usually quite simple and there are tools to help [2]. If you create
the html example, I'd be happy to work with you on the xslt.

Remember, this can only display the information in the model file. So we aren't going to have
a pretty graph with lines between the classes unless you fed it to a tool like graphviz. [3]
I don't know much about that. The sort of html report I describe above is not that.

[1] http://saxon.sourceforge.net/
[2] http://www.oxygenxml.com/
[3] http://www.graphviz.org/

--