cayenne-user mailing list archives

From Aristedes Maniatis <...@maniatis.org>
Subject Re: [ann] Apache Cayenne 3.1 goes beta
Date Tue, 09 Apr 2013 22:39:15 GMT
On 10/04/13 2:23am, Robert Huber @ 7r wrote:

> → The splitting between the tables and classes seems quite complicate to me, especially
with the create ObjEntity and syncing between the two «models». May be there is a reason
for this separation and syncing which I don't recognize?

It does tend to make the model more flexible (especially when you have inheritance). But I
agree that it first sight it is somewhat confusing. I personally like the EOModeler presentation
in this regard.

> → The primary key attributes are not displayed in the ObjEntity. Why not? It is displayed
in the

By default Cayenne hides the primary key from the user. Typically this is what you want but
you can easily expose it.

> As I would primarily use the Cayenne Modeler (as we work with Servoy, we will not use
the Cayenne Framework), I am at the moment not comfortable to make the switch from EOModeler
to Cayenne Modeler. I am very much aware that making such a tool is a lot of work and appreciate
it in every way. So the above points are not meant as a critic but a way to find out if Cayenne
Modeler could be a successor tool for us. I am also a bit unsure for what tasks exactly Cayenne
Modeler is really meant?

Its role is to model the database for users of Cayenne. However, if you want to use it as
a more general modeling tool, we would be happy to accept contributions which make it more
useful in that regard. Additional meta-data such as notes, colours, etc have long been on
our todo list but need someone to step forward with a specific need and the time to implement
it.

Ari Maniatis

--
Aristedes Maniatis