cayenne-user mailing list archives

From Mike Kienenberger <mkien...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Add ActiveRecord support to Cayenne
Date Sun, 30 Dec 2012 01:50:21 GMT
On Sat, Dec 29, 2012 at 8:34 PM, Ashley Aitken <mrhatken@mac.com> wrote:
>> Having used to actively develop Cayenne applications, but more
>> recently having to develop using JPA, which uses an AR approach, I can
>> say that it doesn't actually work or help to mix AR and Unit-of-work
>> Cayenne DataContext concepts.   You end up trying to imitate a
>> scratchpad area using a database transaction, which leaves an ongoing
>> open database connection for each DataContext.   JPA entities don't
>> have any easy way to be worked on as a group short of an active
>> database transaction.
>
> I understand that JPA group actions (e.g. saves) are tied to a database transaction but
I don't see why you feel this is an AR approach?  AR to me is when you call save, for example,
on individual objects etc.

> AR for me is more synonymous with RubyOnRails.  That said, there is apparently an ActiveRecord
implementation for Java, called ActiveJDBC (see Wikipedia).

You know what.   You're absolutely right.   My coworkers implemented
an AR scheme on top of JPA where entity.save() calls em.persist() --
JPA itself isn't AR.  My bad.  So really, JPA is the worst of both
worlds :-)