cayenne-user mailing list archives

From Andrus Adamchik <and...@objectstyle.org>
Subject Re: basic tutorial
Date Mon, 24 Dec 2012 07:09:49 GMT
I am sidestepping a direct answer, and will instead mention a scenario when neither GUI nor
manual XML changes are needed for working with the model. Cdbimport Ant/Maven model reverse-engineering
tool in Cayenne facilitates a workflow when the DB evolution is done with SQL scripts, and
model (and then Java classes) are automatically synchronized from the DB schema. As of lately
I am actively exploring this workflow, and it works great, with a few caveats:

* The tools are only adequate on Cayenne 3.2 (aka the code that you need to build on your
own from trunk). Prior versions are not very usable.
* Your DB schema naming makes sense so that table/column names cleanly translate to Java property
names.
* You don't have many entity-specific customizations (it will be hard to template those on
reverse engineering; however a workaround would be to add them to the model in runtime with
custom Java code).

Andrus