cayenne-user mailing list archives

From Alexey Katorgin <progmons...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: setToOneTarget not works for two transient objects (3.1B1)
Date Wed, 07 Nov 2012 05:57:48 GMT

> You should always create a context and then create objects within that context
using the methods Cayenne
> gives you. This is different to the undecorated POJO that Hibernate allows you
to create.

> Ari

I develop a web-app and if I will create entities bounded to a dataContext, and
after user has leaved the page (by browser navigation buttons, closing the tab,
etc.) such entities will stay uncommitted and may be in inconsistency state
(user has not filled all required fields). And on the next commit this objects
will be committed and raise validation exception.

It is the reason why I want to use unbounded dataObjects.

So I've decide to use transient objects not bounded to any dataContext. In this
case such object just be removed by garbage collector after user leaved page
unexpectedly. And where user will click OK, such objects will be manually
attached to a dataContext and committed.

It makes my code less clearly if can't set relationships between transient
objects. Because I need to create additional temporary lists to store all
transient entities and iterate its to register to a dataContext before
committing.

What is the best practice for this use case?